Monday, September 18

Amazing photo of shuttle and ISS


An amateur astronomer in France, Thierry Legault, took this amazing picture yesterday (full-size version here) of the International Space Station and the space shuttle Atlantis, which had just separated from it in preparation for its return to Earth. Legault managed to catch the pair just as they passed in front of the sun, providing a stunningly clear silhouette that shows the newly-installed solar panels on the ISS.
Legault has been taking amazing telescope pictures for years, and has previously taken several shots of airplanes passing in front of the sun, as well as of eclipses and other more usual astronomical subjects, and has written a book (in French) about astrophotography. He has a great collection of pictures on his own website.
Thanks to spaceweather.com, a wonderful website where I first saw this photo.

5 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Blogger Gaetano Marano said...

.

I think that a (small SM, TEI-only) Orion is like a (single purpose) "CorkScrew", while, a (big SM, multi purpose) Orion may be the "SwissKnife" of space exploration since it can perform autonomous (manned and unmanned) missions also without the LSAM.

I explain my opinion in details (with a curious image and a list of TEN advantages of the bigSM Orion) in my latest article [ "CorkScrew Orion or SwissKnife Orion?" ] here: http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles/014swissCEV.html

.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger L. Riofrio said...

Thanks for including my little blog on your roll. If you ever want to write an article about a changing speed of light (as an alternative to "dark energy") just let me know.

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do have a great blog going here...Thanks

:)

flights of the mind

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks DLC, for posting this fascinating shot.

About Astronomy

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Will Doohan said...

WOW! WOW! I wish I could write that in a bigger font. What a truly amazing photo. As I looked at it I thought " Our tiny outpost in space....We are just ants "

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google